How To Install John the Ripper Tool in windows 10. Yes There is the way to install but there is any way to install just like we can call it from anywhere using command prompt or windows powershell like if you enter NOTEPAD in command prompt it will open as usual it is. So here for this we will use windows Environment Variable setting or you can use create shortcut method.
John the Ripper Tool is the most popular tool in Cracking Passwords. Originally John the Ripper tool was build for Unix operating system. But at this time it is present almost fifteen different operating system. Website you can see here : https://openwall.com/john/.
Firstly We need John to Download
There are many website which provide you to download John the Ripper tool but you should use official website to get latest version and malware-free.
- Firstly go to openwall.com/john/ in order to download it from official website
- Click on any one of the supported version of John the Ripper Tool which is supported by your system.
- Didn’t know. How to check whether to download 64 or 32 but version. Follow Steps :
- Open your Desktop click on This PC or open windows Explore or using Keyboard shortcut : Windows Key + E
- Then right click on This PC
- Go to last you will find
- Properties, Click on this
- Then you will see your Windows Information
- In the Heading of System
- See System Type
See my System Type. Here my PC is 32 bit So i will download only 32 bit Version support. If your PC is 32 bit then you should download 32 bit version else download 64 bit. Note : In the version of 64 bit you can also download 32 bit but for more support and readability download only 64 bit.
Testing the Tool. Is it running without any error on your PC?
Now after downloading go to your downloads folder or where you have manually saved the tool. You will find that tool in john-1.9.0-jumbo-1-win32.7z compressed file. Then you need to extract tool file by using winRar or by using system default extractor. Follow Steps to Extract :
- Right click on john-1.9.0-jumbo-1-win32.7z file.
- Click on Extract files.
- Then It will ask for directory keep it is as.
- Click on OK.
- Let give it time to Extract. just 30 seconds to 1 minutes.
- After Extracting, open that file .
- Then you will find three directories that is : doc, run and etc.
- Open one of the file that named run.
- Now find for john.exe file.
If you directly open or click on it, It will open but it will stop and then exit in a few seconds because there is not code for stop at that state. For this reason click where the path of the file shown as shown in figure :
As you seen in the above figure that is path of the file.
- Click on the path location and erase all words.
- Then enter command “cmd“.
- Hit Enter.
- Then you will see that a command prompt window has opened.
But here you will notice that it is some thing is different from usual that is directory the directory of this file is also open in command prompt. And if you open command prompt usually as you open then you have to come in this directory to run this tool and for that this way make ease to open any path from here
- Then enter command “john“.
- Now, Hit enter button. If it run then it’s great, if not then ask error in comment box
You will see something Like this:
If you see this type of picture then it’s Mean Working.
Final Installation using PATH Environment Variable
An environment variable is a dynamic-named value that can affect the way running processes will behave on a computer. They are part of the environment in which a process runs. For example, a running process can query the value of the TEMP environment variable to discover a suitable location to store temporary files, or the HOME or USERPROFILE variable to find the directory structure owned by the user running the process.
Now Last Step, Follow to Fully Install John the Ripper Tool in windows 10.
- Now, copy/cut the all three directory which is in the directory of tool
- Go to Drive C and create a new folder.
- Don’t think that name of folder would rise a error choose name which you like to. I will enter johntheRiper.
- open created folder then
- paste tool files which we cut.
Here i want to tell you that why i’m only using only Drive C to paste that files. If you want paste it in any other drive or any other folder you do it but there is risk that is If you delete that file accidentally then what happen this will rise error and you will unable to use it. And Drive C is only for system files if you will use it then there is low risk that it will remove accidentally. Then I recommended to use Drive to Install John the Ripper Tool in windows 10.
- Then copy it’s path of the run directory. Note : here i’m coping path of run directory. (shown in below)
- Right click on This PC
- Go to last one that is Properties
- Then click on Advanced System Settings which is on left side below Control Panel
- Then You will see a small type window
- then see above ok or cancel button. button will be there named Environment Variable.
- After clicking on this, a new window will open and look like this
- In this new window. In the heading of “User Variable for %username%”
- Scroll down in this heading and search for PATH.
- click on PATH then click on EDIT button.
- And then click on NEW button which is top right side.
- Then paste the copied directory
- For the last click OK, OK and OK.
- Then close SYSTEM information window as you wish
Here I will not use command prompt to run john the Ripper because this will rise unexpected error and that this not let you to use this tool on command prompt. So for this i will powerShell which is better command line. You can control more than half function of system just by powereShell.
So for this follow steps :
- Right click on Start Menu
- Then click on Windows PowerShell
- Now enter command john
- Hit Enter…